Saturday 31 January 2015

Peel-Off Base Coat by Miss Sporty

Hello!

I recently heard that Miss Sporty (a budget brand available in Superdrug and Boots) had a "peel-off base coat" available in their range. I've seen other people use these, and basically they're intended to be used as a base under polish that would be hard to remove, like glitter polish. I always have a nightmare taking off glitter polish, even using acetone it can take ages and get everywhere, so I really wanted to see whether these peel-off base coats could help.

The base coat was £2.29 and comes in an 8ml bottle.

I'd read that using PVA glue as a base coat is a way of creating your own peel off base, and after purchasing my bottle of Peel-Off Base from Miss Sporty I realised this is basically what I had bought, judging from the smell and consistency. This didn't really bother me though, as I would never have gone to the trouble of getting some PVA glue and putting it into an old polish bottle, so as long as this base coat worked, I was still happy with the purchase. Here it is on my nails (they're a bit stained I know!) ...you can see it's not fully dried on my middle nail and is still a bit white.

 
However, I didn't get along with it at all! I started with a generous coat of the base coat like the bottle suggests, then waited until it dried and went clear (above). After this, I began to paint my nails pink, but almost immediately the polish started to kind of crackle, as if it was somehow reacting with the base coat below. It was very strange, and very ugly looking! Perhaps I didn't wait long enough for the base to dry, but it definitely felt dry to the touch and had gone clear, as stated on the outside of the bottle. As you can see in the photo below, I didn't even finish all of my nails because I hated how it looked! (don't ask why I didn't paint them in order?!)


I obviously now wanted to remove the polish, but it didn't seem to "peel off" like I thought it would - like in one go. Instead I kind of rubbed at it with a tissue and it did kind of come off that way, but left polish around the edges of my nails, and my nails were partially covered in gloopy base coat! 

If anyone has any suggestions as to where I went wrong please share them, but otherwise I won't be recommending that anyone buy this base coat (or, tiny pot of glue!!) and I will just continue using acetone to remove my polish - at least it works!

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear this is unfortunate, I've seen a couple of these base coats on the high street now but haven't tried them yet, I'm put off by the thought of them being quite thick. Guess I will stick with cotton wool and remover for a while yet!

    ReplyDelete

Please add a comment, I love to read what you think :-)